Help, unknown Solinger hersteller

Pumasammler

Mitglied

Good evening,excuse me for writing in English but my German are not good.
I couldn’t find anything about this hersteller, either on net or Anthony Carter’s book, stamp is W.W. Solingen.I allready have 2 pocket knives, and all seem to be 1920 or earlier.Anyone knows?

You have to host them externally, as you probably did with Imageshack. My guess is you just didn't copy the correct URL.

I don’t think it is Wilhelm Wagner, I have two knives with exactly the same logo ,Wagner had two Ws one on top of the other
Gruss

CB8D32E5-5056-4413-9B8D-7AA1E0C28700.jpeg - Click to see more photos

this one is all carbonsteel construction,(liners, bolsters,pins ) coco wood handle, and I think it is early 1900s

6056630B-78B2-4A5D-93A8-79EC264BF482.jpeg - Click to see more photos

here the stamping W,W, SOLINGEN

image.jpg - Click to see more photos

This is only 7 cm long closed, the two blades can be opened with a steel ring, pins are rectangular!
Also all steel construction, but the handles are nickel plated, also I believe it is early 1900s

Thank you

.... I couldn’t find anything about this hersteller, either on net or Anthony Carter’s book, stamp is W.W. Solingen.I allready have 2 pocket knives, and all seem to be 1920 or earlier. ...

.... ich konnte nichts über diesen Hersteller herausfinden, weder im Internet noch in Anthony Carters Buch, die Marke ist W.W. Solingen.
Ich habe bereits 2 Taschenmesser, alle dürften aus 1920 oder früher stammen.

@ Pumasammler: you are right that a mark
W.W.
SOLINGEN
is not necessarily indicating a maker / cutler of your knife / of your knives.
Anyway a considerable number of Solingen makers / cutlers / distributers have been using the starting letters of their names to mark their cutlery.

@ Pumasammler: ohne Zweifel zeigt die beschriebene Markierung W.W. Solingen keinen Hersteller/Messerfabrikanten Deines / Deiner Messer.
Allerdings hat eine nicht unerhebliche Anzahl von Solinger Herstellern / Messerschmieden / Händlern den Anfangsbuchstaben ihrer Namen genutzt, um damit ihre Schneidwaren zu kennzeichnen.

regarrds Grüße
cut

Last edited:
I don’t think it is Wilhelm Wagner, I have two knives with exactly the same logo ,Wagner had two Ws one on top of the other
Gruss

The statement "(added: Wilhelm) Wagner had two Ws one top of the other" is incomplete.
Die Aussage (ergänzt: Wilhelm) Wagner hatte zwei Ws übereinander") ist unvollständig.

You are right that Wilhelm Wagner cutler used a "double W" mark. Anthony Carter is dating this mark post 1928.
Richtig ist, dass Wilhelm Wagner eine Marke "doppelte W" verwendet hat. Anthony Cartier benennt hierfür die Zeit nach 1928.

Anthony Carter's directory is additionally describing a "W.W.S.' on a riband on a hexagonal border. This mark is not listed in his book.
Anthony Carters Verzeichnis beschreibt zusätzlich die Marke "W.W.S." in einer Fahne vor einem Sechseck. Diese Marke is in dem Verzeichnis nicht abgebildet.

Probably Carter is referring to this mark:
Vermutlich bezieht sich Carter auf diese Marke:

Such Wilhelm Wagner advertisements were being published during the early 1920s.
Diese Webung wurde von Wilhelm Wagner in den frühen 1920er Jahren veröffentlicht.

Prior to the 1920s no brandnames and /or trademarks are known to be registered / used by Wilhelm Wagner.
Es gibt keine Nachweise zu Wort- oder Bildmarken von Wilhelm Wagner, die vor 1920 verwendet wurden.

I assume, that Wilhelm Wagner used his "W.W." monogram in standard form for marking knives prior to c.1920, i.e. prior to the special designed mark W.W.S. and/or W.W. in double.
Ich vermute, dass Wilhelm Wagner sein "W.W." Monogramm in klassischer Schreibweise vor etwa 1920 verwendet hat, also vor den in besonderer Ausführung verwendeten Marken W.W.S und doppeltes W.

regards / Grüße
cut

Last edited:

IMG 0232 — Postimages

Another maker I couldn't find any infos
It is a Gentleman's knife , about 9,5 cm long closed, all steel construction with MOP inserts. all (even the blades) nickel plated.
Stamped BW SOLINGEN GARANTIE and I think is from 1910s.

Best regards

Back