Ein anderer Standhauer

ElkviewRanch

Mitglied
Mit hilfe von Bing Translator...

Hier ist meine neueste Standhauer. Ich haben sie seit vielen Jahren machen. Ich benutze sie täglich hier auf der Ranch in Nord-Idaho. Ich benutze sie für Schneiden Bäume, Pinsel und clearing Routen. Ich benutze sie für Wild und Vieh, zu Schlachten.

Ich habe verschiedene Muster in den Jahren verfeinert und haben mehrere Designs, halte ich für verschiedene Arten von Arbeit. Die meisten von mir sind stumpf, aber dieser hat einen Punkt und ein Fingerschutz, die Hand schieben bis am Rande zu verhindern. Wir werden jetzt erlaubt, fangen und Steuern von marodierenden Wölfe wird, und möglicherweise dieser einen Wolf.

Wie Sie sehen können, das Design ist inspiriert von der Mauser M98/05 "Butcher Blade" Bajonett / Seitengewehr, ohne die Stachelrücken. Klinge ist 35 cm {13 ¾ Zoll}. Ich geschliffen auch die kurze Kante, so es ein Teil der Klinge, die ist langweilig und kann durch die Hand gegriffen werden gibt, um die Klinge, die für feine und zarte schneiden "kürzere" zu machen. Die Griff-Schuppen bestehen aus Eiche und der Tang-Dynastie geht etwa ¾ der Art und Weise durch den Griff mit einer Pice Holz in den Hintern-Teil des Handles laminiert. Auf diese Weise das Gleichgewicht nach vorn auf der Klinge hacken Effizienz setzen.

Die Klinge besteht es aus einer Kettensäge-Bar und geglüht und dann differentiell wärmebehandelt es. Die Klinge ist etwa 54 Rockwell-Härte. Ich habe Messer, die ich als Geschenke an Soldaten vorgenommen, und ich hatte noch nie eine Pause. Ich gebrauche sie härter als die meisten, und sie arbeiten sehr gut. Scabbard ist Leder, 2 cm {3/4 inch} dick in der Welt. Es ist die Hand genäht und dann gefärbt braun und getränkte, komplett mit Silikon-Gummi waterproofs es und gibt es ein harte, "gummiartige" Gefühl durchdrungen.

Standhauer2.jpg

Standhauer9c.jpg

Standhauer7.jpg

Standhauer6.jpg

Standhauer9f.jpg

Last edited:
AW: Einandere Standhauer

Hi ElkviewRanche,
Welcome to the Messerforum!
That’s a really nice piece of work you are showing. :super:

By the way, feel free to write in English. I think it will be easier to understand than the Bing Translator's german wording.;)

best wishes
corax

Danke sehr!

As for English...I last studied German in High School 30 years ago, and remember some...but not enough!

I used the translator to comply with the "German Language" rule. Thank you very much for allowing me to post in English.

I wanted to post here because the German "Sandhauer" tradition is one of the very few large-knife cultures in Europe/North America. European tradition mostly uses the axe for work done by large knives in many other cultures. Personally, tho I am of Dano-Norwegian descent, I prefer the large knife!

Here are two more up close and at work;

heavyparang44.jpg

elkandknives.jpg

shortbolo.jpg

DBearHunt1.jpg

Welcome ElkviewRanch,

and congrats on your Standhauer, a most impressive piece!

Posting in English will certainly make it easier for us to understand, the Bing translation is somewhat confusing. But we truly appreciate the thought, thanks. :super:

Try to run the German Bing translation of your original English post back into English again, you might be surprised at the result! ;)

Try to go to the Kontrollzentrum to enable your account to receive PMs and e-mails, if you wish to do so!

Cheers,
skatenut

Last edited:

Vielen Dank.

I should add;

It might be hard to see, but I normally make a chisel grind on my heavy knives. I am left handed, so the grind is set up for that use. This type of grind is in my opinion far superior to the double bevel grind for hard work, and allows branch trimming to be done so the blade pulls away from the tree trunk. Also allows superior cutting properties for brush cutting.

On the first Standhauer pictured, I also ground a "Bone Breaker" dull edge on the spine. We have found in the field that occaisionally when we butcher, we need to break a bone and such use will damage the fine edge. So we cut to the bone with the edge, then strike the bone with the spine edge and break it.

The blade is blued using cold blue, with the blade heated with boiling water, bluing rubbed on and then carded with steel wool. I adid this six times and the blueing turns out pretty deep and provides some measure of rust protection. I then normally coat the blades in olive oil. That way when we use the knives on game or meat we don't taint the meat with a petroleum-based oil.

Also, grips are bedded in epoxy and rivetted with iron rivets.

Last edited:

Hello!

That's what a knife has to be - a tool. I like this "user-look" it very much.
By the way: Nice gun :hehe:

(mein Englisch mies...)

Thanks very much.

Yes, they are tools. Working knives all of them.

Here is another one I made.

I've cut some number of kilometers of trails with them on my ranch and in the mountains surrounding us.

I also use them for making what I call "Blitz Blinds". This is a quick blind made from brush, limbs and dead wood, thrown together quickly up in the mountains overlooking a game trail or other likely spot where elk or deer may show up.

For handles I use a variety of materials, most of them scraps from a cabinet shop. Oak, walnut, cherry and of course serviceberry and mountain scrub maple I cut on the ranch here and season in my shop.

KlewangHiked.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks again.

Here is one of my Standhauer knives with a bear a I shot a couple weeks ago. Also there is a knife I made.

BearA5.jpg

Hi Elkwoodranch,

great knives you are showing to us! And of course it's perfect to see them in action! The german "Standhauer" has still its "right to live" in german hunting, especially to clear the shooting field in front of your seat! In my opinion the main disadvantage of a big knife is, that you usually clear your shooting field when maintaining your seats. At this opotunity you normally are carrying a chainsaw with you, so there is no necessity of a big blade, an a hatchet/axe can as well be used as a hammer... On the other hand it is definitely much easier to do this with a big knife.

This looks like great hunting grounds in Idaho, are you shure, there's no forester needed in your area ;) And great guns you have!

Greetings

Christian

Hi ElkviewRanch,

this seems to be a serious working knife and a potent chopper! I like the scabbard too, thank you for sharing these pictures with us.
Off-Topic: By the way, I really like your gun taste; ist this a S&W Model 27 or even a Registered Magnum?:D

Ralph

Thank you all very much.

Teamaster is of course very correct for those areas where prepared stands exist. We, too, have some areas where we have cleared lanes for shooting with the chainsaw.

I enjoy the physical exercise required by using hand tools, also, which is just a personal taste. But the Standhauer and parang, klewand and bolo type knives are easy to carry and use "always";

KlewangHikec.jpg

KlewangHikeb.jpg

KlewangHikea007-Copy.jpg

I use the Standhauer-type knives for walking around, trapping and as a survival knife on ski jaunts {skilaufen?} in the mountains. There nothing beats it, as it does so much more than a hatchet. My heavier ones can drive tent stakes, also, using the flat of the blade.

They are useful everywhere, and I never like to go far without a heavy knife;

DBearHunta.jpg

Here is another, shorter one, possibly more on the lines of the usefulness of the Puma Waidblatt...although I think it is a far more efficient cutter... ;) Next to it is a "Jagdknicker" I made from a millsaw, with local elk scales for handles. I go one further than Puma, tho...I dig out the marrow from the antler core and fill it with epoxy so the grip is absolutely solid and tough.

grallochingbowie.jpg

03262011SkiJaunt9.jpg

Ah, the wheelgun, that is a Smith Model 29-9, .44 Magnum. Yes, it does look like a 27. Very light and handy, tho I'm done with handguns for bear. I had a very nasty fight with the one pictured...almost had to rely on my Standhauer were it not for my 14-year old son who put the final shot in with a 7x57R...

1BearHunting44HangingBW.jpg

Here are some others I made. I like the heavy blades...

parangbolo.jpg

Und wieder vielen dank. Entschuldigen Sie mir für mein schlechtes Deutsch.

Last edited:
The shape of the blade looks like a old celtic Sax, very beautiful. And the handle...a look at the handle: it seems smooth and I am pretty sure that it gives a good grip.
Very nice work.

Danke hanomag.

Ja, the blade took that shape. It was originally ground with a straight spine, then when hardening, the complex shape of the blade caused various differences to form. I had trouble getting the blade straight, but finally got it. But, as usual with these types of blades, the spine bows just a little bit, and gives the conformation as you see.

I spent the morning cutting shooting lanes, und jetzt, meine Freunde, the blade saw its first use on "game". A grouse and a turkey I shot this morning also.

I used it to field butcher them and the design worked very well. The bone breaker was used to crack some of the bones for quick butchering {bird bones destroy most fine edges} and the dull portion of the blade gave me a good grip for fine work.

Standhauerturkgroua.jpg

Standhauerturkgroub.jpg

Standhauerturkgrouc.jpg

Back