Gps holder for seakayak

Brix

Mitglied
Hi all!

I enjoy too take a kayak and paddle a trip. one of my friends have a Garmin Etrex Gps and wanted a holder there could go on his spraydeck. a spraydeck is like a skirt you have around the manhole, so there don't come water in the kayak!

I made this! what do you think? it's a proto so I need to polish it a little more, special the holes.
gps6.jpg

sorry for the quelity of the pic :(

gps1.jpg

gps2.jpg

gps3.jpg

gps4.jpg

gps5.jpg

gps7.jpg

Nicolai

nice looking.
i wanted to make similar for my mountainbike, didn´t have the time yet. how did you press the kydex onto the gps? just in using gloves? i dunno how to fit it to the gps without applying too much pressure.
(and for my bike the holder should be quite sturdy and keep that thing secure)

hi nico,
question: is the gps waterproof? if not, you should not fix it on the spraydeck

Arne

waterproff!

Hi biesser

of cause the GPS is waterproff els I would not use it for watersports!

Nicolai

Hey Brix

Please do not count on your GPS being waterproof, because, hmm "waterproofness" is tested in the lab not in the field.
If a GPS is critical for finding home (or a lovely camp spot) use an aquapac or something similar and always have a backup stoved away really, really good.
Trust me on this one, i´ve lost a few GPS handhelds this way while i was sailing.

To put it short, problem is, in a lab water- and airtemperature are the same while in the field they are not. The usually colder water causes your GPS to cool down a little. This of cause also cools down the air in the case and that creates a slight vacuum. That vacuum then literally sucks in water from around your GPS.

Back