Symmetric or Asymmetric which do you prefer?

Fred Rowe

Mitglied
Does the human eye find symmetry more appealing than objects that are asymmetric?

I just finished a large dagger which required ever proportion to be symmetric including the sheath.

When it came to making a sheath for this asymmetric blade I followed with an asymmetric stamping pattern on the sheath.
What do you prefer?

Fred
DSC00995.JPG
DSC00997.JPG

DSC00899.JPG

Last edited:
heehe, i like a sheath that follows the lines of a blade closely but in this case i would propose a completely different approach. this knife is worthy to a sheat wit a separate frog, though not only having a sheath as classic as the whole knife but thinking of left handed users. how about a tooled frog and a nearly bare sheath, maybe adorned with a little metalwork ( mouthpiece or point). if you use the same metal on a point of the sheath as used in the handle it would be a nice completion to a quite nice piece of work.
just my two cents as being a southpaw

Last edited:
heehe, i like a sheath that follows the lines of a blade closely but in this case i would propose a completely different approach. this knife is worthy to a sheat wit a separate frog, though not only having a sheath as classic as the whole knife but thinking of left handed users. how about a tooled frog and a nearly bare sheath, maybe adorned with a little metalwork ( mouthpiece or point). if you use the same metal on a point of the sheath as used in the handle it would be a nice completion to a quite nice piece of work.
just my two cents as being a southpaw

Southpaws make up only ten percent of the population, because of this discrepancy and having to live in a world populated by righties; they get short shrift most of the time.
Myself, being married to a lefty for 35 years have had instilled in me an awareness of the needs of southpaws.

Thank you for your comments. I am pleased that you like the knife.

Regards, Fred

Last edited by a moderator:
Back